Saturday, November 25, 2006

East Indian Food at its Best

Today I was listening to NPR (national public radio). They were interviewing a woman named Madhur Jaffrey. She's a famous East Indian Cookbook writer and has just written a memoir entitled, "Climbing the Mango Trees" (which I intend to buy as soon as possible).

'Climbing the Mango Trees'Madhur Jaffreys World Vegetarian CoverMadhur Jaffrey's Quick and Easy Indian Cooking Cover

I have one of her cookbooks, Quick and Easy Indian Cooking and have absolutely loved making her Indian food recipes over the years. She also has another I'd like to get: Madhur Jaffrey's World Vegetarian: More Than 650 Meatless Recipes from Around the Globe.

The conversation was fascinating to me. I loved listening to her recall, as a child, her joy in climbing the mango trees and while still in the tree, cutting and then dipping mangos into a mixture of salt, pepper, cumin, and red chili powder she had carried up in her hand.

You can listen to the interview here:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=6525257

Try the Cauliflower recipe they've posted. It's delicious and easy! Enjoy!

No comments: